Friday, February 26, 2010

Baked Soybean Koftas

So I'm planning on entering a soyfoods cooking contest that they're having on campus in March. My only problem is that I don't have any experience with cooking with soy(besides the disastrous tofu experience at Marie's apartment a few years ago :) ). So on Wednesday night, I took a stab at it. I found a recipe for baked soybean koftas. Koftas are normally meatballs, but in this case, they are meatless meatballs.

Here's the ingredients I used.
And here is the recipe.

Baked Soybean Koftas
1-15 oz can soybeans
1 large potato(peeled and boiled)
1/4 c onion (diced)
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c TVP (texured vegetable protein)

Gravy
1 c Ragu chunky tomato sauce
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1. Peel potato and cut into chunks. Boil for 20-30 min.
2. Mash potatoes and combine with all ingredients except TVP.
3. Mash all the ingredients together and form into eight balls.
4. Spread TVP on a plate and coat each of the balls.
5. Place them in a lightly greased 9X13in pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
6. Combine the gravy ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
7. Remove koftas from the oven and pour half the sauce over the koftas.
8. Bake for another 10 minutes, and before serving, pour the remaining gravy over the koftas.
Here are the koftas before being baked the first time.
Half of the sauce was added and a little parmesan cheese was sprinkled on top.
And the final product! Wahlah!
I got good reviews from both Danielle and Taber. They willingly chose to be my guinea pigs for the night. We heated up some more Ragu and added it to the koftas. The soybean koftas did not have the texture of meatballs--they were much more of a mashed potato consistency. They had good flavor, though. Next time I'll have to add more salt or other seasoning to the soybean and potato mixture.
The next day, I put a leftover kofta on a piece of toast. This was awesome, and definitely the way to eat it!
I still haven't decided if this recipe is the one I'll use for the contest. If you guys know of any good soy recipes, you should send them my way!

Other good meals this week:
Overnight oats: 1/3 oats, 1/3 milk, 1/3 vanilla yogurt, banana, and a scoop of flaxseed--Yum!
Bagel sandwich filled with Nelle's tuna salad--secret ingredient: chow mein noodles(crunchy deliciousness)

Taber and I got Papa Murphy's pizza tonight. A black olive and mushroom deLight pizza--half with marinara sauce and half with alfredo sauce. I don't regret one bite. It was good :).

Tomorrow morning, Danielle and I are going to a track brunch at Brittany Garner's house. There's bound to be an abundance of good food. I'm looking forward to it! Then I'm working catering from 12-7pm, which I'm excited about because Taber and I get to work together. Yay! :) There's a girls' basketball game tomorrow night so if I'm not too pooped from work, I might go to it.

I think I'm gonna call it a night. Good night all!

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep an eye out for some good soy recipes and send 'em your way! The soyballs look tasty though :) I'm sure its one of those things where if you are expecting to taste traditional meatballs you will probably be disappointed . . . but they taste delicious all on their own . . . ?? if that makes any sense. :)

    Joe and I are glad to see that you indulged in some Papa Murphy's, even if it was deLight! Haha, I showed him your overnight oats and he was starting to think that you were a less-than-human health food nut!! :) I tried to tell him that the Overnight Oats taste too good to be health food, but alas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You'll have to make him some overnight oats to prove to him how good they actually are. I don't deny that I'm a health food nut but less-than-human? Come on, Broseph! Haha!

    I can't wait to be back home to see you two and Mom and Dad! One week 'til spring break! Weee!

    Oh, and hey, do you realize that Alice in Wonderland comes out this Friday?! Danielle brought that to my attention today! We'll have to figure out when we're gonna go. Ahhh, I'm so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete