Sunday, February 28, 2010

Bread Bowl Soup

Last night, Danielle and I decided that we'd get up early today and get our run in before church. When we got up this morning the temperature read five degrees. Did that stop us? Heck no! Once we got out there, we both agreed that it didn't feel like five degrees. The sunshine and lack of wind made it feel much nicer. So our long run was very enjoyable--we could actually talk about things other than the numbness of our hands :). Eight miles later we were back at our apartment enjoying our oatmeal and taking our sweet time getting ready for church--thank goodness Fr. Andrew always starts mass a little late!

After church, we came back to our apartment and started making some vegetable beef soup.

Bear Creek is the BEST! It's so easy...even a bear could do it. Well, maybe a genius bear with opposable thumbs. Hmm...scary thought :S.
Anyways, it was quick and easy. We just added water, tomato sauce, 1 lb. hamburger, and some frozen spinach.Ok, and here's the best part. While grocery shopping the other day at good 'ol Wally World, Danielle and I found these...
They were with the discounted bakery bread and were marked down to 90 cents a piece. Needless to say, we didn't hesitate to snatch them up. They made for the perfect bread bowls. Danielle and I were pretty impressed with ourselves :).
Here is the final product.
The bread bowl soaked up the soup pretty good so we had to(yes, had to) get seconds on the soup. By the time we finished, Danielle and I were both on the verge of going into a carb coma. I don't regret one bite, though. It was dang good! :)
Tonight, I'm getting together with my Cafe NFA group to practice making our meal that we plan to make for Cafe NFA. The menu consists of ham & swiss quiche, sweet potato hashbrowns, and pita chips & hummus. Hopefully everything goes well!
Have a good Sunday, everyone, and go easy on the sweets :).

1 comment:

  1. I love the soups-in-a-bag! I've never done the bread bowl though. It looks awesome!

    Bakery bread just makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete