Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Something to Ponder


Okay, I don't have a long story or anything tonight, but I thought I would post this question that (somewhat strangely) popped into my head today.

I am a "foodie" as Anne would say. We all are, meaning us sisters. So...have you (any runner/foodies of the world) ever wondered if you are a runner because you are a foodie, or are you a foodie because you are a runner??

Haha...

So, I think it depends on the day. In the middle of XC season, on those days where we logged in 9 miles during a workout, or went for a long 10 miler on a Sunday morning, I was definitely a foodie because I am a runner. I would eat a good, filling supper only to find myself starving and needing, not craving, ice cream two hours later. No, not just ice cream, but anything I could find in our cupboards. And if there wasn't something sufficient in the cupboards...out we went on a mission to cure the hunger.

Fast forward a month or so...Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa Murtha's. At this time I wasn't running nearly as much as I had been in weeks passed, but my relationship with food suffered none, quite frankly. Grandma had baked nearly 700 cookies, all different flavors, shapes, colors...it was astonishing, really. And it wasn't just cookies, but every meal...nothing is ever not delicious at our family gatherings or just meals at home. You may go into a meal or a day with a limit in your head, but all morals (food morals? ha) and goals go out the window with the first bite of a...what was that?...a lemon cookie? a neopolitan cookie? a Neiman Marcus cookie? Ma's sweet potatoes? Dad's lasagna? Oh wowie. Okay, so back to my point. In circumstances such as described, I am a runner because I am a foodie. If it weren't so, I would be unrecognizably 50 lbs. heavier...at least. ha. End of story.

:)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so true! Quite the revelation you had there, lil sis'. Right now I'm in the transition phase from "runner because I'm a foodie" to "foodie because I'm a runner." :) Oh, and yes, I definitely remember XC season--We were bottomless pits for the whole three months. The feeling of fullness was welcomed but rare. It was almost frustrating. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think I used to be a runner because I'm a foodie, but as we've become more aware of nutrition (probably due to being runners), I've less of an appetite for the unhealthy options, and, hence, less of a need to be a runner because of being a foodie. That's a bad thing, though, since it means my running has fallen off without horrible, horrible consequences. (Gaining a bunch of weight would've at least kept me devoted to running.) It being winter clothes season, small unsightly flaws can be hidden, so running can be put off until the temperature starts to climb. How convenient! That's why I need to commit to a winter-time race where I'll face public humiliation if I don't get my butt out there and train!

    Joe and his basketball buddies stopped by tonight after their Fat Man's League in Parkston. I fixed a gourmet post-game lunch for them including some VERY processed refrigerated pulled pork on a WHITE bun, some potato chips (disguised as healthy since their title is "veggie chips"), and some Killians. What am I doing on a food blog, anyway?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! All very interesting philosophies! Mom, the fact that white bread and processed meat made you think twice about it means you definitely belong on a food blog! Most of America would call that a well balanced meal! Being a good host is all about catering to the needs, wants, and lifestyles of your guests. If Anne was making a menu for her catering job, I'm sure she wouldn't serve veggie burgers to the Rodeo Club but she might serve spinach lasagna to the cross country team. I think the food we eat is a reflection of our lifestyle. So . . . my theory is that we are foodies because we are runners. I think the key is the type of foodie we are. I know a certain cousin (Karisa) might also call herself a foodie, but I think it's safe to say that we wouldn't be considered the same type of foodie! Am I making any sense!? Ha! Okay, anyway . . . since we tend to go for more healthful options, I think we are striving to meet the needs of our running lifestyle (therefore, foodie because we are runners). But I know we don't always make healthy choices, so I can see the other side of it as well!! It's a conundrum! :)

    ReplyDelete