Friday, January 22, 2010

Dad would be proud!

Today for lunch I had one of my all-time favorite sandwiches: creamy peanut butter, banana slices, and vanilla yogurt between two pieces of toasted whole wheat bread. Oh, so good! And to make it even better, Danielle left me the butt-end of the bread. Yes! Nothin' better!
Danielle and I got a run in this afternoon(despite the wind and occasion sleet). We decided to only go four today, which was probably in our best interest because throughout our run, we both got pelted with icicles flying off of the trees. That, combined with snowy, slushy sidewalks, made for a somewhat difficult run.
Tonight, Danielle and I made lasagna. We found a recipe in the special edition Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Italian magazine. Not only did the picture look delicious but it was "under $10" (always a plus). So after making a Wal-mart run to get ingredients, we started the process.

Red Pepper Lasagna

*adapted from original recipe

1 lb. Italian style ground turkey
1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tsp. minced garlic
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. salt
3 cups milk
9 lasagna noodles
2/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
2/3 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9x13in pan; set aside. For meat sauce: in a large saucepan, brown turkey. Drain fat. Stir in diced tomatoes, garlic, black pepper, and ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 min; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in roasted peppers; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce: in a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, nutmeg, and ¼ tsp. salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. *You may need to add more flour.
3. To assemble, arrange three of the noodles in the prepared baking pan. Top with 1/3 of meat sauce, then 1/3 of the white sauce, and lastly, 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layering noodles, meat sauce, white sauce, and cheese two more times, making sure the top layer of noodles is completely covered with sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
4. Cover pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until edges are bubbly and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
I hate to brag, but it turned out pretty darn good. Charlie and Taber came over to partake in the feasting. They thoroughly enjoyed it and were quick to go back for seconds. Actually, Danielle and I couldn't even resist seconds. With both the lasagna and garlic bread, I ended up gorging myself to the point of bloatation. Haha! Ok, not quite. I stole that quote from Sweeney Todd and just really wanted to use it :). I was definitely stuffed, though!
After supper, Taber had to go to work, and Danielle, Charlie, and I watched Sweeney Todd(hence, my need to quote it). I love that movie! Or rather, I love Johnny Depp! Just watching Sweeney Todd makes me super excited for the Alice in Wonderland movie coming out in March. With Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter, it has to be good. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Beware, baby sis has joined this bloggin' escapade!! :) Don't hold me to your standards, though. You know I'm just a recreational journaler, which doesn't necessarily mean the equivalent of a dedicated blogger. This may be quite entertaining nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Welcome, Danielle!
    Okay, this lasagna looks "phenomenal!" My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures and I swear I'm smelling a hint of garlic in the air!! :) I'm very impressed!

    Oh dear, I must be out of the loop; I've heard nothing about the new Depp movie coming out in March! The madd hatter is the perfect role -let me guess, another Tim Burton movie. I'm sure it will be freaky! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete